top of page
  • Writer's pictureCooke Insurance

What Home Insurance Does and Doesn't Cover - A Guide

Updated: Apr 27, 2023

For most people, buying a house in Canada is the largest personal investment they will ever make. It's your house, no matter what type or size it is, and you want to ensure it's safe from unforeseen disasters. A house insurance coverage protects both the structure and the contents of your home. It can also help pay for liability fees if you inadvertently injure or damage another person's property and additional living expenses if unforeseen damage or an emergency evacuation order takes you out of your house. It can also help you in identity theft, credit card fraud, or property theft while you are away on vacation.

Should You Buy Home Insurance?

A home insurance policy is considered an essential expense, so you must have one if you buy a home. It also helps you avoid expensive repair or replacement bills in the event of a covered loss.

What Does a Home Insurance Policy Protect You From?

Home insurance can help cover your home, its contents, and even you or other family members, should you come to harm. It is always best to refer to the policy wordings to confirm which coverages apply to your policy.

Typical House Insurance Coverage

The amount of coverage you require will depend on criteria such as the value of your house and belongings, the location and age of the home, and the risk you offer to the insurer. Typical home insurance policies include three or more categories of coverage, including dwelling, contents, and personal liability.


The most basic dwelling insurance covers the structure of your home. It covers damage to the walls and roof of your home, but in some cases, it can also cover damage to other external structures such as your fence or garage. It can also cover the cost of rebuilding your home if it's destroyed in a covered peril. This coverage is essential if your home is destroyed by something like a fire, so that you can rebuild it without the financial burden of high repair or rebuilding costs.


Contents insurance covers the value of the possessions you keep in your home. It covers the cost of replacing your personal belongings, whether stolen, damaged by an event covered by your policy, or destroyed by a covered peril such as fire.

Personal Liability

Many home insurance policies include personal liability coverage , which protects you against claims that you have caused injury or property damage to another person. In the event of an accident that was your fault, this coverage can help pay for your legal costs and any other costs associated with the claim, such as lost wages and medical bills.

Identity Theft

Identity theft can happen to anyone; you can't do much to prevent it once someone has stolen your identity, but you can take steps to help protect yourself and minimize the cost of a potential claim. Identity theft insurance can pay for costs like replacing your stolen or damaged credit cards, driver's license, or passport, as well as the costs of additional taxes and documentation, legal fees, and any time you or a family member are missing from work to deal with associated expenses.

What Isn't Covered by Home Insurance?

Expect no coverage for claims arising directly or indirectly from

  • Structures used for commercial or agricultural uses.

  • Property obtained illegally.

  • Property that may be forfeited, lawfully seized, or confiscated.

  • Wear and tear, degradation, flaw or mechanical failure, rusting, corrosion, and other factors can all cause loss or damage.

  • Tenant's property

  • Loss or damage that occurs when your home is vacant.

Consult with an expert or check your policy for a complete list of all concerns not covered by a house insurance policy.


Still unsure if homeowners insurance is right for you? It is an essential expense that can make a world of difference if your home or valuables are compromised in an accident or natural disaster. While it may not cover everything, it's a great starting point to protect what matters most.

Whether you own a home, a condo, a rental property, or you are a renter, Cooke Insurance can keep you covered. We offer a wide range of comprehensive coverage options for home insurance in Saskatoon to cover the roof over your head. Get an online quote from our website today!

17 views0 comments


bottom of page